Party Mode – #1 The Idea
A few weeks from now, Otaku Festival happens, a yearly event about Japanese culture and gaming. (If you look close enough at the site’s background you can see my face)
I was invited there to showcase Joe and have a talk on stage about, whatever I want, related to games.
I did just that last year and you can check out the video here, also there will be a 2 page interview in the new issue of OtakuMag.
But enough about the event, time to show people something, however we have no levels yet and we’re in the process of creating the story (which is unpolished and not really interesting to play at an event in a crowded loud area when you don’t really have much time to sit down and invest interest into a game (that requires headphones in order to make sense)).
So we decided that we’ll do something new this time around, instead of showing regular puzzle levels, we’re showing a new type of gameplay.
Enter, PARTY MODE! An idea I had a while ago that is the next logical step from the flash Joe’s mini games.
A local multiplayer mode in which up to 4 players go head to head to get the highest score possible. You do that by playing short competitive games (10 to 30 seconds each) that come one after another.
Think Mario Party or Uther’s Party from Warcraft 3.
Now, we don’t have anything done regarding this mode, it’s still in the stage of an idea. I plan to write articles about it as we develop it, going through the process of idea making, design, code, art, so on.
So let’s being with the first step.
Current Stage: Idea
- Party mode is about rapid bursts of short mini games 10 to 30 seconds in length.
- Up to 4 players can play at the same time on the same screen.
- There can be only one winner per round, each time you win, you get 5 points.
- After 10 rounds, the player with the most points wins.
Each mini game will be presented in the form of Title + Description. The description is a single sentence that shows up before the game starts, explaining how the game is played.
Mini game ideas:
- Bomb Tag – Pass the bomb to other players before it explodes, dying will give you the bomb.
- Death Jump – Explode in mid-air to fling yourself over the bar, highest jump wins.
- Speed Run – The first one to reach the other side wins.
- Bullet Hell – Last player standing wins.
- Stomp – Jump on another player’s head to kill him.
- Red Light – If you move while the light is red, you die.
These are only a few of them that I came up with.